1. United States Department of Energy. “Strategic Petroleum Reserve.”
2. Park, Byoung Yoon. “Geomechanical Model Calibration Using Field Measurement for a Petroleum Reserve.” Sandia National Laboratories, 2017. https://www.osti.gov/servlets/purl/1420770
3. Malm, Andreas. Fossil capital : the rise of steam power and the roots of global warming. London: Verso, 2016
4. New York Times, “A Glut of Oil”, The Daily, Podcast. https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/27/podcasts/the-daily/oil-prices-coronavirus.html
5. Martha Arouni, mother of Mary Begley, first alerted researchers of this nationwide time adjustment, from her memory as a young person in St. Paul, Minnesota.
6. Malm, Fossil Capital. paraphrase Marx “most climate science still dwells in the noiseless atmosphere, where everything takes place on the surface, rather than entering the hidden abode of production, where fossil fuels are actually produced and consumed.” (19)
7. Klein, Naomi. This Changes Everything: Capitalism vs. The Climate. New York: Simon & Schuster, 2014. 1988, year that climate crisis came to international conversation. 1989, fall of Berlin Wall - “End of History” - right wing crushed socialism, Keynesianism deep ecology “full frontal attack on political experimentation” - this worked and by 2000 “all that was left standing is...pro-corporate ideology” and unsustainably rising global standards of consumption (75)
8. Braun, Bruce. “Fracking.” Antipode at 50: keywords in radical geography. March 1, 2019. https://doi.org/10.1002/9781119558071.ch23
9. Malm, Fossil Capital.
“capital recognizes no boundary in nature”
10. Braun, “Fracking,” 129.
11. Acadian Historical Society. https://acadianahistorical.org/items/show/29
12. United States Agency of International Development. “Natural Gas Value Chain: Pipeline Transportation.” https://sari-energy.org/oldsite/PageFiles/What_We_Do/activities/GEMTP/CEE_NATURAL_GAS_VALUE_CHAIN.pdf
13. Hershey Jr., Robert D. “Oil Reserve’s Confidence High.” New York Times, 19 December 1983.
14. Buck, Holly Jean. After Geoengineering: Climate Tragedy, Repair, and Restoration. Brooklyn: Verso, 2019. “the moment of infrastructural development is a flash point for contestation; the concrete image, whether it be a diagram or architectural rendering, makes it real enough to fight against.” (44)
15. Malm, Fossil Capital. David Harvey in Limits to Capital - INERTIA “When capitalists purchase fixed capital, they are obliged to use it until its value (however calculated) is fully retrieved’ (348)
16. Rao, Venkatesh. “Plot Economics.” RibbonFarm: Constructions in Magical Thinking, March 9, 2020.
17. Lefebvre, Ben and Zack Colman. “Whack-a-mole stuff’: Trump’s oil rescue hits a slippery path.” Politico News, 28 April 2020. https://www.politico.com/news/2020/04/28/donald-trump-oil-rescue-218021 “The OPEC+ deal and the plan to allow companies to store oil in the SPR are mere window dressing,” said another person in the industry, who requested anonymity to speak frankly about the situation. “Companies are failing and the industry is experiencing irrevocable destruction and the Trump administration is basically standing on the sidelines coming up with ideas that won’t help us.”
18. American Geosciences Institute, “How much oil is consumed in the United States?” https://www.americangeosciences.org/critical-issues/faq/how-much-oil-consumed-united-states